Thursday 17 October 2013

28a Richborne Terrace, London

Monday 14th October 2013


I quick visit to the flat I lived in during 1984 to 1985. 28a Richborne Terrace which is very near to the Oval.(41).

After my Mum and Dad divorced in 1983 my Dad moved here with choice elements of home furniture - mostly stuff Mum wanted. He had the basement flat. Brother Giles moved in too.

I stayed from time to time when not at University. Then in 1984 I moved in and started work at Stuart Edwards & Partners in Croydon - August 1984 to June 1985, before moving to the London Borough of Redbridge Estates Department (June 1985 to June 1986). In the Summer of 1984 I delivered leaflets with Nicola (my wife to be) around the West End. We used a transit van.

The flat was a hovel. Dad drank at the Fentiman Arms in Fentiman Road - and I mean drank a lot. He worked at Palfrey Place with his printer mates. He wasn't happy. I moved to Gants Hill in late 1985 and was pleased to see the back of this place.

I remember the Otis Lift building on the main road (no longer Otis but still there).

The flat is gone - it is now one house. The area is still rough. Monty the Black Rat (who lived with us - my pet) wouldn't like it even now.

This was a sad time. I visited on what would have been his birthday (88) - he only made it to 79. Much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment